Update: Read PART 2 of this post here!
Introducing my current fave lip product and what I have been sporting on my lips in many of my recent Instagram (@lauralauraah) pictures...the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams!! To be honest, I wasn't completely in love with this product straight away when I first tried it as I found it too drying (I think it was around the start of my obsession with lip products so I wasn't used to the matte texture) but for some reason, I decided to give it another shot and bought more colours. I think it was my growing love for matte lips that made me reach out for this product again.
I currently only have 5 of their lip creams which will expand soon I'm sure. Istanbul (a light nude pink), Milan (a bright rosy pink), Antwerp (a coral peachy-pink), San Paolo (a deep pinkish red) and Monte Carlo (a deep cool-toned red).
What's unique about this product is that it is like a lipstick and lipgloss in one. It applies easily, smoothly and packaged like a gloss but the colour pay-off is like a lipstick. I love the doe-foot applicator as it makes applying the product on your lips so much easier than applying a lipstick out of its tube. Especially if you don't have a mirror in sight or just can't be bothered using one, I find that doe-foot applicators are a lot more forgiving!
What the packaging states: "It's not a lipstick, nor is it a gloss. It's like nothing you've experienced before. It's lipstick cream that goes on silky but looks soft matte." I couldn't agree with this any more. Unlike normal matte lipsticks which may be a bit difficult to apply, these lip creams have a really smooth and silky texture on application (you will see in the swatches below!) but within a few minutes, the product will dry, producing a matte finish on your lips, which is what you ultimately want.
Though, with any matte lipstick, the main complaint would be dryness on the lips which I guess you have to put up with if you want a matte finish! BEAUTY IS PAIN! :3 Like I mentioned before, when I first tried this product, I couldn't stand the over-drying effect although over time I feel I have gotten used to it and it doesn't really bother me anymore. Just be sure to really exfoliate and moisturise your lips first before application to avoid patchiness, dry flakes and accentuation of lip lines.
L-R: Milan, San Paulo, Istanbul, Antwerp, Monte Carlo
Apologies for the lower quality lip swatches! I used a different camera so they look a little washed out compared to real life. : ( - though I hope you will still appreciate them!
- Amazing texture- very silky and creamy and then dries matte
- Very affordable- I buy them for ~$5.99 here
- Vanilla-y scent? I think it smells a bit like vanilla which I'm fine with although those who oppose scents will of course hate this
- Great colour pay-off
- Very long lasting- especially the darker colours although I would still recommend touch ups after food/drink
- Convenient packaging, great applicator choice
- Wider selection of colours needed. I wish they added more dark plum-y colours or just darker shades in general
- Can experience an over-drying effect especially if you're not used to wearing matte lips
- Can be a bit patchy
- Can accentuate lip lines if lips are not prepped eg. exfoliated etc. before applying
Thankyou so much for reading and I hope you found this review helpful! If you have any questions, comment down below, leave me a tweet, instagram me etc etc. <3
* Disclaimer: This is a non-sponsored post and I am in no way affiliated with NYX Cosmetics. The products mentioned were purchased with my own money and as always my reviews are 100% my honest opinion. *